Pages

Sean Tizzle: Music 1st Degree 2nd


Up and coming singer, Sean Tizzle, tells Saturday Beats about his rising profile in the music industry
W
here did the name ‘Sean Tizzle’ come from?
I coined it from my real name which is Seun. I just changed the ‘u’ to ‘a.’ The ‘Tizzle’ is just teaser.
How did you feel performing for a huge crowd at the last edition of Star Trek?
I actually performed at the previous edition but in just one city. But this year, things changed a bit. It was wonderful. I was able to perform for a huge crowd. It was interesting. The love I was shown was awesome. It felt good to be called on the stage and for everybody to scream.
How did you feel winning the Next Rated category of the Headies award?
I felt great. I was given a car. It shows that we have been sowing good seeds. It is time to reap. I have won some other awards. I was nominated for the Nigeria Entertainment Award in Los Angeles last year. I didn’t win though.
Did you anticipate that you would ‘blow’ like this when you started your career?
It is mandatory. You work and you wish yourself good. When you work, you pray and you expect results. I have really tried. I was expecting to come out big. I was steadfast because I believed I would ‘blow’ one day.
You titled your new album The Journey; how has your journey to this height been?
It has been rough, tough and smooth at times. Everybody goes through a journey. Every stage in somebody’s life is a journey. Life’s journey starts when you are born.
You got into the industry when it was thought to be already saturated with stars, but how were you able to find a space and become noticed?
I worked hard and I worked with the right people. I prayed as well. You know that it is just God who blesses people. I am a Christian. God has been merciful.
But most Nigerian artistes these days are better known as ‘one hit musicians’ who go under as soon as the success of that single dries off. In your own case, do you think your face would be relevant in years to come?
I am not going anywhere. I am going to remain here for as long as I can do music. You can tell from this album. When I came out with my first single, Sho Le, people thought that would be the last. But I came out with yet another single and another single and even another single before I came out with this album. All the songs are hit songs. So we should expect something bigger. I have dropped some videos.
How have you been able to shoulder the responsibilities that come with fame?
I have been handling it well. I am not trying to praise myself but I have been down-to-earth right from the first day. This is the same me. I have learnt to respect and appreciate people. It takes a lot for somebody to like you, so I wouldn’t want to jeopardise that. I don’t let fame get to my head.
Do you really bleach your skin as some people have accused you of doing?
I heard that as well. I don’t bleach my skin. I know why people are saying that. It is because my knuckles are dark. But they have always been like this from birth. I have tried everything but my knuckles have remained like this. I will not fight God. He created me this way. So I have left my hands like this.
How does it feel being an MTN ambassador?
Very nice. One or two brands made me their ambassador as well. But I am not ready to talk about those companies now. I didn’t lobby for the endorsements. It is just God and my credibility.
So many people have the perception that once you are a brand ambassador, you might not be able to ‘collabo’ with a colleague who is a rival brand’s ambassador; how true is this?
It is not like that. Na ‘we we’ in this industry. These people are my friends. I have Olamide on my album. I have Ice Prince on my album. They are not MTN ambassadors. They are my friends.
What is it like being a star?
I am fine with stardom. I know there are times people want to get closer. I appreciate it. It is not a problem. It is their prayer that is working for me. If they get to know me more, I get more money. I love and respect the ladies. I am a perfect gentleman.
But there must be one of them who is so special in your life at the moment…
Everybody is special to me right now. There is no particular special at the moment. However, very soon you will find out who the special person will be. Right now, I am single and singing.
Did you start singing from your mother’s womb as most artistes always claim?
How is it possible? You will learn to talk before you start singing. However, I started music a long time ago. I may not remember how long ago but I started when I was in secondary school. I went to Command Secondary School, Ibadan. I used to be in a group of three called Two Be One. We went our separate ways in 2008. That was when I met D’Tune and I started my solo career.
So you would say that the breaking up of the group was a blessing in disguise?
As you can see, it is. I am not saying they were bad luck. But there is a stage in life and you just have to move on. They are doing fine as well. One is a graduate and the other one is still doing music. We are still good friends. One is my friend and the other is my cousin.
Most artistes always get high by indulging in drugs and stuffs. How do you get high?
I don’t think doing drugs and getting high is restricted to just artistes alone. It is just your personality. Those who are not stars still smoke and drink all the time. It is not about your status, it is just who you are.
How far did you go in school?
I tried a bit, at least I still entered the university. I did a three-year diploma programme in Theatre Arts at the University of Ibadan.
So are you not going to get a degree?
For now, no. But then, it is good to go to school. I will not discourage anybody from going to school. But at the end of the day, you have to become somebody in life. People will have to rely on you. You will have mouths to feed whether you went to school or not. My parents were supportive right from the first day. They gave me financial support and they prayed for me all the time.

Unknown

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment