Pages

Jeff Garlin: Selena's Career is Creepy


Selena Gomez, save for a few terrible life choices, is generally pretty all right. She's got a decent career going for herself now, and she's been able to transform herself from a Disney starlet to a real live pop star/actress. The problem with Selena (or one of them, anyway) is that the change happened so fast, and when she was so young. So very, very young.

Jeff Garlin, legendary comedian and former costar of Selena's on "Wizards of Waverly Place," actually described all of this in a recent interview. He started off gently:

"I worked with [Gomez] for three years, and I love her. She is, at least in terms of what I saw, a great kid. But then I see her sexualized."

But then he really went for it by describing his experience in watching "Spring Breakers," that movie that Selena Gomez did where she cavorted around in a bikini in what basically amounted to a "look at me, I'm an adult" career move:
"I'm by myself in the theater, and I couldn't have felt dirtier. Great bikini shots of Selena Gomez? I don't go there. I see the thing, but I see those chubby cheeks. She's a kid. This is disgusting that it's happening so young. It didn't happen 30 years ago….I'll blame the Internet. I'm not like clean-cut Johnson. Maybe it's because I know [Gomez]. It's like she's young, she's a kid."

And he's exactly right. Selena can't really help her face shape, but she does look very young, and it's hard to look at her and see an adult. It is weird to see her being thrusted so forcefully in our faces as a mature sexual being with songs like "Come and Get It" and roles like the one in "Spring Breakers," but it doesn't seem right to penalize her for the way she looks. She is 22, after all. She's allowed to be sexy if that's what she wants.

So instead, let's blame the people that put Selena in this position. Let's blame the people that cast Selena Gomez in the bikini-flaunting, hard partying role in the first place, thinking that a girl that looked about 13 would be appropriate for that. Let's blame whoever wrote that awful "Come and Get It" mess and who thought Selena should support the message behind it. Let's get with Jeff Garlin here and blame all those creepers, and maybe the next big Disney star won't have to resort to this to get herself taken seriously.


Unknown

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment